Monday 10 April 2017

Dream Big Canvas - D-lish Scraps DT

I'm so excited to be part of the new D-lish Scraps design team for the next six months. I simply couldn't go past all the beautiful flowers in stock without grabbing a variety to include in a canvas display piece as my first project.


I whipped up a quick little tutorial as to how I created the canvas, just in case anyone else wanted to try to create some thing similar. If you do, send me a link in the comments, I'd love to check it out!


1/ Spray mists onto your craft mat/Teflon sheet. I used three different colours (purple, green and light blue) and made sure they were close enough to run together. Press the canvas upside-down onto the mat, making sure to press firmly in the middle. Once dry, apply Versamark watermark ink through a stencil randomly and emboss with clear UTEE.
2/ I found the background too bold for my taste, so I painted the whole canvas with gesso, then used a baby wipe to clean off the embossed areas. I also used the wipe to lift off some of the gesso until I was happy with the amount of colour showing through.
3/ Apply texture paste through a stencil randomly over the canvas. The texture paste will only stay white if applied thickly, in thinner applications the background colour will show through once the paste dries. You can see the dry effect in the 4th photo. If you want it to stay white, use structure paste/gesso/acrylic paint instead.


4/ Colour the edges of the canvas with a thick layer of Gelatos. Apply water with a paintbrush to create drips. Add extra Gelato if you want extra colour intensity. I did the purple at the top and let it dry before doing the same thing with blue from the bottom.
From this point on is really where we just start covering up that beautiful background.
5/ Apply washi tape. I used a blue/white diagonal stripe from the retired JAP kit, Beachside Bliss. You need to think about where your flowers will be placed and ensure the washing pokes out the edges of the cluster.
6/ Adhere muslin over the washi tape. I used three different pieces that I had teased out the get rough edges and applied with spray adhesive. Paint your chipboard white (I use one coat of acrylic paint then spray with chalkboard Glimmermist). Cut the flourish to suit your design then glue down.

7/ Place your flowers, starting with the larger ones first then working towards the smaller ones at the edges and in the gaps. The heather sprays and spiral stamens are great for breaking up the circular design pattern.
8/ Add in the little extra embellishments like clear glass cabochons and sequins. I have also added some more diamond shapes using the smaller stencil and gesso in the top and bottom right corners.
9/ Apply the finishing chipboard pieces, in this case a Scrapmatts frame I've cut in half to use in two places and a title from another retired JAP kit, Aztec Dreams.


Close up shot to show some of the fantastic variety of flowers available from D-lish Scraps: Green Tara Tutu Blooms, Fantasy Blooms, Bitty Blooms, Magnolias, Heather Springs, Spiral Stamens, Petite Resin Roses and Wild Roses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!